Position Senior Database Administrator
Reporting to Database Service Technology Leader
As an international specialist insurer my client are far removed from the world of mass insurance products, selectively focusing on key areas of expertise and strength, all of which is underpinned by a culture that enctheirages us to challenge convention and always look for a better way.
Their straight-talking culture is not for everyone but allows us to strive to improve everything they do and never settle.; Trust is integral to how they operate and it allows us to work in an environment where every role has a high level of autonomy; freedom to forge ytheir path and help set the wider agenda is evident in all parts of the organisation. Through embracing an environment that brings together people who are unique and interesting they are ensuring they build a company where teams don't all think the same, this, combined with a culture where ctheirage to say what you think is not only actively enctheiraged but is central to their business model has defined their success.
If you thrive in a challenging and collaborative environment where you are trusted to work instinctively and know the company will stretch you to your full potential look no further.
IT operates as a strategic business partner as opposed to a more traditional support function. The division, made up of 220 IT experts and specialists, is central to the business strategy, driving the agenda in each Business Unit. they are made up of people who push the organization to think differently and therefore look to attract / recruit people who aren't afraid to challenge how things are done and approach their work with a pioneering mindset. IT is not a home for the faint hearted. they are trusted for their track record of delivery and respected for their commercial thinking and have earned their place at the table
To develop and maintain a best of breed IT Operational Service, they need a Senior Database Administrator with significant MSSQL Server experience and a proven track record of deploying and maintaining applications across the whole project development life cycle.
The role will focus on delivering business driven change across the application portfolio, assisting projects at both design and implementation phases.; Additionally, the role requires supporting the existing database estate across all environments within the business.; Trouble shooting of production issues and performance tuning will also be a key activity.;
The successful candidate will have advanced database administration skills and a passion for modernisation, automation and moving towards Cloud based deployments.
- Provide 3rd Line Support for database environment in accordance with agreed service levels, standards and processes
- Proactively manage and monitor database environment to minimise business disruption and identify and drive initiatives to improve the quality and effectiveness of the IT services
- Work closely with infrastructure personnel, providing technical input to application design of solutions for business and infrastructure projects
- Assist in the evaluation, planning and delivery of the migration and upgrade of existing database applications
- Ensure that assigned IT service incidents are managed effectively and root-cause problem analysis is undertaken where appropriate to reduce the number and severity of; future operational incidents
- Participate in knowledge transfer with other IT Services staff to improve the effectiveness of IT Services
Technical Skills and Experience
- Strong design, implementation and administration knowledge of MSSQL Server from 2008R2 onwards
- Proven design, implementation and administration knowledge of at least one Highly Available (HA) solution and theoretical knowledge of other HA solutions
- Good administration, design and implementation knowledge of SSIS, SSAS and SSRS
- Strong trouble shooting, performance tuning, T-SQL and Potheyrshell experience
- Experience of working in large environments supporting applications through various stages of the product development life cycle
- Experience of operating at a project technical lead level, helping to co-ordinate other technical restheirces assigned to a project
- Open-minded and passionate about modernising technology, especially in database services
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and a can do attitude for delivering IT support
- Able to work in a fast moving environment with rapidly evolving targets and to prioritise work effectively.
- Self-motivated, confident and decisive, with a clear customer focus
- Solid influencing and communication skills and the ability to work with suppliers effectively
- Proven team player, working with other IT and business professionals in an effective manner
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a market leader during a time of focused growth where you will have the remit to make a real difference.
They offer an environment where you are enctheiraged to grow with the team and this is an exciting time to be joining this fast growing organisation.; There will be plenty of opportunity for on the job career development within a supportive environment.