Our data science teams is encouraged to innovate and are pushing the boundaries of what is possible using traditional technology platforms. The demand on IT for thought leadership and delivery enablement in this area is rapidly increasing, and we're looking for a skilled and motivated individual to define and build out a new technology capability to meet the needs of the business.
This is a particularly exciting opportunity given our recent move to Microsoft Azure which has opened up a wealth of new technologies and services, enabling our data science teams to answer questions that were hitherto impossible.
If you're successful, you will join a small team setup 12 months ago, tasked with empowering our business teams to make the best use of technology and data for the purposes of BI & Analytics.
Initially, the role will involve:
- Driving business innovation by showcasing new technologies and demonstrating the "art of the possible"
- Working with data science teams to explore and prove new IT capabilities, running PoCs where appropriate
- Building a demand backlog and prioritising with business and IT leads
- Partnering with data scientists and the Azure cloud team to safely build and configure technology components for specific use cases
- Refining our IT strategy and operating model (people, process, technology) to align with evolving business demand - focussing on business self-service where possible
- Building out a delivery team to realise the operating model (through up-skilling and recruiting if necessary)
- Working alongside our data & solution architects to ensure analytics and ML technologies are appropriately leveraged by our strategic IT platforms
By way of example, we are currently working with the following technologies:
- Azure Data Lake,
- Azure Batch (HPC)
- Azure HDI / Spark / Hive
- Azure Cognitive Services
- R Studio Connect & Shiny Server
Our must haves
- A university degree (2:1) in a technology, maths or science based subject
- An intimate knowledge of MSFT Azure components related to Data, Analytics, AI, ML and Cognitive Services
- Experience deploying multiple examples of the above in an enterprise environment, including setting up associate infrastructure components (networks, storage, security etc.)
- A foundational understanding of data science tools and techniques
- Intermediate to advanced programming skills in SQL and at least one other language (E.g. R, Python, Java, .Net, C#)
- A history of solving complex poorly defined problems involving aspects of people and processes as well as technology
- An engaging personality with a flair for leading, influencing and inspiring others
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with challenging senior stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high degree of proficiency at communicating complex concepts to busy or less technical senior stakeholders
- Experience managing a work backlog (capture/plan/prioritise)