Head of Testing
Head of Testing irs required by a Wealth Management software Vendor provider based in their birmingham office. The Head of Solutions Testing is responsible for setting and monitoring testing and quality standards for the firm. This remit includes all aspects of testing, throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC), in addition to the management of test managers and their teams.
- Create, manage and grow a solid, robust and effective test capability which encompasses manual and automated testing with a drive to increase the latter
- Define and implement a company-wide test policy and approach, based on industry best practice, to ensure measurable quality within cost and time constraints
- Define and implement a company-wide defect management approach, including use of appropriate tools, to ensure streamlined, consistent and measurable reporting of defects throughout the SDLC
- Define and implement test measures at key stages of the SDLC to measure the success of testing e.g. defect density, cost of testing, testing efficiency, requirements coverage, etc.
- Define and implement a standard test document template library adhering to industry standard best practice and terminology
- Define and implement a viable strategy for test automation and measure the on-going impact
- Create and manage a collaborative test process for use in conjunction with Clients
- Manage current and future test resource requirements, including skill-sets, and mobilise test teams as demand requires
- Agree and set the quality acceptance criteria of code into test environments and release out to Clients
- Manage the test relationship with Clients and 3rd party suppliers and develop a testing community for the benefit of all
- Ensure test environments are fit for purpose i.e. meet project requirements, have high quality test data and the links or stubs in place to test interfaces
- A detailed and repeatable process for test planning and estimation, based on empirical testing measures
- Define, document, advocate, promote and enforce high quality testing throughout the firm
- Responsible for the necessary provision of training for testers and developers at firm in testing
- Provide a regular annual review of existing test methods, standards and procedures; propose improvements that are commercially viable, and implement those improvements as agreed (including, but not limited to: developer testing, independent QA, unit testing, integration testing, system testing, test automation, performance testing, user interface testing, security testing, and test script management and reuse)
- Provide regular quality reports for discussion with Senior Management on all test activities, improvements, processes and issue
- Ensure that test processes are consistently carried out across the firm
- Line management of the firm's Test Managers / Lead Testers in all 3 locations - London, Birmingham and Newcastle office. The Test Managers manage teams testers, who provide a number of test services to the business, including but not limited to:
- Delivery of a standard Regression Test (RT) cycle on the latest version of the product before client release. Typically around 18-20 of these test cycles a year, consisting of a standard test pack - which is maintained and extended when necessary.
- Automated testing delivered as part of the test pack above
- Secondments of testers to the firm's client dedicated development teams, or other teams at the firm if appropriate
- Line management activities at firm including informal day-to-day support and coaching, and formal activities, such as annual appraisals, performance measurement, and career management
- Evidence of having proposed, agreed and implemented process and people change in a medium or large organisation
- Can operate both strategically and tactically where needed
- Able to maintain lasting customer relationships
- Can work efficiently under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Strong facilitation and analytical skills, with an eye for detail
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills: ability to communicate concisely with all levels of an organization
- Strong on test and development methodologies and industry best practice.
- Demonstrable leadership skills capable of building teams and working as part of, and contributing to, a broader management team
- Commercially and numerically minded
- Experienced in financial sector software project delivery
- Proactive, hands-on, tenacious, with excellent influencing and interpersonal skills
- Good experience of non-functional testing - especially security, resilience, performance and volume test practises
- Strong understanding of change management
- Able to demonstrate high levels of energy and enthusiasm, to help re-invigorate and drive morale, motivation and engagement across the Testing team and Birmingham office as a whole.
- Evidence of having analysed and delivered improvements to test standards at a software house, preferably in the financial sector
- Evidence of introducing and managing automated test capability
- Knowledge of Silk Test management tool (or similar)
- ISTQB-BCS Certified Tester at foundation or intermediate level
- Very good understand and use of the testing maturity model (TMM)
- Thorough understanding of development and testing methodologies including agile, waterfall, v-model, etc.
- Experience of project management methodologies, for example Prince2, Six sigma.